Wednesday, 25 May 2016

WILL YOU BE VOTING?



WILL YOU BE VOTING IN THE EU REFERENDUM?

For many the conception of politics is particularly boring, and most seem to be completely disinterested in anything to do with the government, news from other parts of the world and politics itself. I somehow understand where some people are coming from, especially the younger generation who do have the right to vote but don't practice it. Before the general election last year, my interest in politics was significantly low. Yes I would watch the 6 o'clock news, and have BBC news on my phone but I didn't really take much interest in it. It confused me slightly. However, my views on politics changed last may. Out of all of my friends, I was the only one who could not vote and I was like 'well thats not fair', but Alicia that's life, life isn't always fair. I honestly don't know how many people in my year did practice their right to vote or not, but I know I would have done. 

On Thursday 23rd June, the United Kingdom will be voting on whether or not we should come out of the European Union (EU) or not, but will you be voting? Last year in the general election, the group with the least amounts of votes casted came from the 18-24 year olds, which has been a continuing trend, as more and more younger people are less likely to vote. Now, it can be suggested that their are many reasons behind this: 
1. Not interested in politics 
2. Don't know enough information 
3. Can't be bothered 
and there are probably more as well, but thats just a suggestion. Politics isn't something that children learnt about at school, unless they choose it for GCSE or Alevel and the people that tend to choose it, are the ones that want to learn and know about politics. If I had, had the chance to do politics at school I would have jumped at the opportunity, it just so happens I am now at university and reading International Relations in the School of Government at my university. Hence, i'm basically doing the some modules as straight politics students. You can tell that the majority of students on my course that are british citizens will vote on the 23rd June, as we all have a common interest in politics. However, the ones that don't probably will not vote. 


So, 'Why should I vote, then?' you ask... 
People died for your vote. Now I'm not just talking about the Sufferagtes in the late 19th and early 20th century, in terms of women getting the vote, but guys weren't automatically given the vote as well. They had to fight for it just as much. If it wasn't for them people, who campaigned then the right to vote would have probably have happened a lot latter on. 

You can not moan if you don't like the result. The thing that annoys me the most is when people moan about the government, or policies, or taxes or whatever, but they didn't actually vote in the last election or in fact any election. If you don't exercise your right to vote, then why should you moan, because you didn't actually do anything that could have changed the result. Don't moan about the government, or your benefits being decreased when you couldn't be bothered to walk, or drive, to your local polling station to vote. It really does only take a few minutes out of your day. Also, polling stations are open from 7am to 10pm. Anyway, thats not the point. 

It's free, quick and easy. As long as you have registered to vote, then you can vote. You don't have to pay anything to register to vote, you don't have to pay to cast your vote. It is free. It is also quick, but there could be a queue. I know this because my dads a Presiding Officer and my mum is a poll clerk. It is also easy. You basically make up your mind and thats that. 

Because you can. It's your right to vote.

If you are a UK citizen over the age of 18 (or a resident in the UK but from the Commonwealth, or from Ireland, Malta and Cyprus can also vote), you still have time to register to vote. In fact you have until the 7th June! You can register here!

Love Alicia x 
Pinterest | Instagram | Twitter
Feel free to leave a comment, as they are much appreciated. Also don't forget to follow me on Bloglovin' so you don't miss a post! 
SHARE:
© Bambi Dreaming. All rights reserved.
Blogger templates by pipdig